I decided to try my hand at my own enchilada recipe, and I was very pleased with the results! This recipe makes about 12 enchiladas, so plenty of left overs!
Ingredients (makes about 12 enchiladas):
- 4 cups – cooked chicken breast
- 1 can (16 oz) – Bush’s Best Pinto Beans with Jalapeños, Medium Heat
- 1 can (28 oz) – Red Enchilada Sauce
- 2 cups – cooked rice (I used Vigo Creamy Avocado Rice)
- Flour tortillas
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Toppings (optional): Sour cream, Diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, and black olives
- Cook your rice.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, chicken, pinto beans, and 2 cups of the enchilada sauce. Mix well.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Pour enough enchilada sauce to cover the bottom of your 9×13 glass casserole dish.
- Fill your tortillas with the chicken mixture.
- I added about 3-4 tablespoons of mix into a tortilla and rolled it up as tightly as I could. This gave me 7 enchiladas.
- I didn’t add cheese inside, but feel free if you like a cheesier enchilada.
- We used burrito flour tortillas, which were a little too big, so I rolled the ends in so it would fit better in the dish.
- Once all your enchiladas are set, pour enchilada sauce over them.
- I love extra sauce so we used a lot.
- Top with your favorite toppings such as cheese and black olives.
- Tightly cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake until the cheese has melted. This could be about 20 minutes, depending on your oven.
- Before eating, add additional toppings such as avocado, sour cream, shredded lettuce, and diced tomatoes.
1 serving = 1 enchilada